How Long Do Water Heaters Last?
We get a lot of calls from customers asking us how long their water heater should last. Some people want to get a water heater replacement before theirs causes any problems, while others want to see how long they can make their current one last.
Most water heaters last somewhere between 6 and 13 years. In fact, if yours is more than 12 years old, you should know that it could fail at any time.
The longevity of your water heater depends on a few factors:
- The quality of the water running through it. More minerals equal more buildup, which equals a shorter lifespan.
- How often you perform water heater maintenance. You can call us to maintain your water heater or do it your self. Either way, regular maintenance can extend the life of your water heater significantly.
- Whether you get water heater repair in a timely manner. Do you wait until your water heater is dying to repair it or do you call us at the first sign of a problem? The sooner you call, the more likely we can fix your heater and keep it running a little while longer.
When Do I Need to Replace My Water Heater?
With such a large possible lifespan, how do you know when you need to replace your water heater? Most of the time, the ultimate choice is up to you. However, here are a few signs that it’s time to think about getting a new water heater:
- Your water is a strange color or seems tinted. This often indicates rust in your heater, which means it’s nearly time to replace it.
- Strange sounds coming from your water heater. These can mean that sediment has built up inside your tank. The best way to fix this is to replace the heater.
- Water under your water heater. If you see signs of dampness, your water heater has a leak somewhere. Replace it before the leak gets any bigger.
- Intermittent hot water. This can indicate a number of different issues, most of which are best solved by replacing your water heater.
- Less hot water than you had before. Chances are one of your tanks isn’t working. Replacing the heater is actually easier than getting a new tank.
If you want a water heater replacement or you want us to evaluate the function of your current heater, call us at Neerings today! We’ll help you get the perfect new water heater for your home, and help you with any other plumbing services you might need, too!