Spring Plumbing Maintenance in Salt Lake City
Spring is coming! Even though snow might be a more recent reality, the truth is that warmer temps are just around the corner. This puts many people in the mind of spring cleaning. All that fresh air makes us want to fluff the pillows, beat the rugs, and get winter’s mud out. As you start to list everything that you want to do to your Salt Lake City home this spring, don’t forget your plumbing.
Just a few hours of TLC could help you avoid plumbing repair all year long. No one really loves to call the plumber, and taking care of these things can mean keeping him far, far away all year long. Here are a few tasks where a little investment can go a long way to keeping your plumbing working well…
- Clean out your downspouts, vent pipes, gutters, and anything else on your roof that could cause a plumbing problem. Many folks don’t think these are part of the plumbing, but they actually do a lot to keep your home safe from water damage.
- Check your faucets and hose bibs to make sure water flows freely and doesn’t spray or leak. If you do leak detection and find one, it’s time to look for a pipe that froze and burst
- Make sure your sprinklers are working well. Check for damp patches of the yard that could indicate a leak in the line.
- Ensure that your sump pump is draining to the proper location and that this is well away from your home and its foundation.
Kitchens and Bathrooms
- Employ a bacterial drain cleaner to make sure there’s no crud in your drains. Follow the directions on the package to ensure correct usage. This can help you avoid needing to hire for drain cleaning services later on.
- If you have drains that continue to back up, get them snaked now so they don’t continue to cause problems, or find the root cause of the issue and take care of it. We can always help you with drain cleaning if you need it.
- Clean the traps under all of your sinks. This can prevent a clog later.
- Clean the mineral buildup that can happen around your faucets and shower heads. Removing this not only looks better, but it also helps ensure that these fixtures will last for a long time.
- Test your garbage disposal. Clean it and get your disposal repaired if it’s not working well, or it could cause a bigger problem later this year.
- Put strainers over all drains, especially in the shower. These will collect hair and other things that can cause major problems when they go down the drain.
- Check your toilet for leaks. Do this visually, but also listen for leaking water sounds. You can always put several drops of food coloring into the tank, then wait a few minutes. If the water in the bowl is colored, there’s a leak that needs fixing.
- Test your water supply valves under your sinks and behind your toilet. Make sure they move easily and that they effectively stop the flow of water to the sink or toilet.
The Rest of Your House
- Check the temperature setting on your water heater. Most people keep theirs at 120 degrees, to reduce the risk of scalding. The most important thing is that it is set where you want it. If you are in need of water heater service, contact Neerings.
- Do sump pump service tests. Pour water into the container until it trips the valve. If it’s not working, have it checked out to see if the mechanism has gotten corroded.
- Check the water supply lines to any appliances that use water. If you see tears, bulges, or leaking water, replace the line.
- Drain a few gallons of water from your water heater. This helps remove sediment. You should consult your user’s manual for exactly how to do this on your model.
- Check for slow leaks in your home. Read your water meter just before you go to bed, then again in the morning before you use water. If the readings aren’t the same, call us for water leak detection.
Plumbing Maintenance Pros in Salt Lake City
At Neerings, we are happy to help you with any plumbing repair or maintenance efforts you might need to have done as you go through your spring cleaning in Salt Lake City. We’ll do sewer cleaning, drain unclogging, toilet repair, and more. Whenever you need a master plumber, call for an appointment at Neerings.